A personal blog about gaming, modeling, and other less than cool ways to spend your time.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Quality Control



I am officially done with GW primer. After spraying half of my assault squad I noticed some cracking in the primer. Thinking that it must have been my spraying technique (to far, to close, or something), I went about stripping those models and soon afterwords sprayed my razorback. SAME F!@%ING THING. If I'm anything I'm persistent. So I tried it again on a devastator squad. Yea you guessed it, imagine that.

After finally wising up I pulled out some random bits and attempted lots of different spraying styles. The conclusion, the primer was bad. I could understand if it was an old can, but I had just bought it. In my mind this is just inexcusable. For a company to put so much effort into putting out great models to then allow the PRIMER to destroy them......

Thank god for simple green. I think the models will come out OK, but the vehicle has too many long flat surfaces and I don't think it will come out right. We'll see.

Anyone know any good primers?

Rix

3 comments:

  1. Army Painter primer is well worth it if you're willing to shell out (it's a tad more expensive than the GW primer).

    Personally, for the majority of my models I get by fine with matte black spray paint from the hardware store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Armory primer. It's pretty cheap (half the price of GW stuff), and it's generally pretty good. It seems to be more sensitive to heat in regards to fuzziness, but when used in moderate temperature it seems to give a much cleaner, thinner coat than GW primer.

    The best primer I've ever used is the old GW primer, but Armory's second best after that in my book. I hate new GW primer, it's like spraying regular black paint onto the model. So thick, it obscures a lot of detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fuck all that. Duplicolor Sandable Primer. Primer of choice for many of the painters I know winning Daemons, Skullies, and Gen Con overall prizes. $5 at most autoparts stores. Dries dead flat. Dries quickly, and it shrinks ever so slightly so if you are a heavy primer like I am, you still get perfectly primed models with no loss of detail. I've been using this since '06, and I got through at least 1 can of black a year between my girlfriend and myself. I also keep the dark grey and the white on hand.

    Spray paint is not primer, whether it is flat or not. it is paint. GW stopped selling primer years ago. Ever notice that the label no longer says primer, merely Chaos Black Spray?

    Duplicolor black has never fuzzed on me, and I've sprayed outside in 30-40 degree winters, and 90+ degree summers.

    Buying spray primers from the gaming market is just paying mark up for a product that will be the same at best, and usually inferior to what you can find out in the "real world."

    ReplyDelete