A personal blog about gaming, modeling, and other less than cool ways to spend your time.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Hersesy Will Not Be Televised


(Spoiler Alert)

It will be talked about on the Intewebz. I love me some 40k books. In fact, in the decade plus that I have been playing it has been the one consistent part of the hobby for me. When I was deep into WoW, WAR, MTG or MTGO and had no time/desire to paint miniatures I still picked up all the novels I could. Words can not express how happy I was when they started to write the Horus Heresy series, and for the most part they have not disappointed. Here are my rated list of the books so far:

Did not place: Battle for the Abyss

Not only was it a poorly written story, it had little to no impact on the Heresy storyline. Besides some off-references to 30k characters, I think this book would have been just fine as a 40k book. Its best quality was the depiction of the Thousand Sons Marine, its worse quality was the annoying way it tried to depict the Space Wolves.

and now on with the list......

10. Descent of Angels

It seemed like the author had never even read any 40k books, much less should write about the Heresy. I think the Lion is an annoying fancy pants just as much as the next guy, but come on, he seemed pretty weak and annoyingly moody in the book.

The Lion preparing for a fight

9. False Gods

To be fair, Graham had a tough act to follow. Abnett built his characters beautifully, set the stage wonderfully.....and then handed it over to Mr. McNeill. But, this is the point where Graham really drops the ball. His characterizations of Horus are all wrong. And the dream sequence where Horus makes the decision to side for chaos.......... This book could have been so much better if they would have put an extra page in there where it actually seems like Horus had a moment of doubt when he chose to betray his father and everything he stood for.

8. Mechanicum

I don't have a lot to say about this, I just felt like it was a bit much to make the c'tan canon.

7. Flight of the Eisenstein

My issues with this book is more about timing then content. I thought the book was well written and told a good story. This book was the first time I realized that they were going to draw out the Heresy for longer than 3-5 books. I'm happy with the decision, but I remember being very disappointed when I read a book that paralleled more storyline then it actually expanded on.

6. Fallen Angels

Mike Lee should be commended for bringing the Dark Angels out of the emo morass that Descent of Angels left them in. I'm not sure if he better explained what the DoA author was trying to get across, or just made shit up, but he did a good job. I felt the Lion finally had some character. I also really liked how the Sons of Horus were portrayed as experienced elite. So often authors fall into the "my army is awesome the rest can suck it" trap. Looking back, I really liked this book, the fact that it scores so low in the list says a lot about what is left.

5. Galaxy in Flames

I'll be honest I don't remember much about this book, besides it saved the series from False Gods. I tried to reread them all but ended up putting them down after 50 pages of False Gods. Has it come across yet that I didn't like False Gods? I remember wanting more when I was done with this book.

4. Tales of Heresy

Short stories have always been my favorite 40k books. Often time you get a really cool concept that teases you without having to read 350 pages. I really like the little teasers cause they get the imagination running. This book had great stories on some very interesting topics:
  • Angron and Kharn are two of my favorite characters in 30k cause I just don't get them at all in 40k and would like to see how they got there
  • A great Custodes story (the first of its kind I think)
  • A great pre-history to the Sisters of Battle
  • An amazing piece with the Emperor as a central figure
3. Legion

Alpha legion was my second army, I love the subtlety and intrigue. Then Dan Abnett writes my Heresy book!!! He did everything right, made the XXth legion unique and on top of that answers some questions that have always been in 40k lore. I need to reread the book cause I am sure I missed half of it, but that's what I should expect with the Legion right?

2. Fulgrim

I came into this book with a lot of trepidation because of False Gods. I liked the story. But OH MY FUCKING GOD the ending!!!!! One of if not the best endings in a 40k book ever.
Fulgrim gets PWND

1. Horus Rising

"I was there the day Horus killed the Emperor...." I still remember how giddy I was when I first read that. I can't remember a time that I was so excited to read a book. It was masterfully done. The characters, plot devices, everything was just amazing. In my mind this book single-handedly saved GW. I think they were on the long slow decline as they were milking their IP for profit without bringing anything new to the table (seriously, go look at White Dwarf before this book came out there is almost no 40k). I think what happened with this book and the series made the company realize that storytelling is the true draw of the 40k universe.

Rix

No comments:

Post a Comment