A personal blog about gaming, modeling, and other less than cool ways to spend your time.

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Heavy Weapons

Over the years GW has slowly guided the imperial heavy weapons so that they each have a very specific role. This wasn't always the case but the change to melta weapons and the blast template rules have really leveled the playing field. The following are the weapons and their specific uses:

Multi-Melta - The best vehicle killer period. This will tear through vehicles even at max range but get to within 12" and you can pretty much kill any vehicle goodbye. The +1 to the damage roll allows even glancing hits to be scary. Usually they have a pretty minimal cost. It is hampered by its limited range.

Lascannon - Prioir to 5th it was the king of the battlefield. Long range and a Str 9 hit. They are pretty expensive in most codices. The Melta edged them out for pure killing power in 5th but I for one would rather be facing a tank at range and not while its barreling up on me (but of course I am not a superhuman killing machine in power armor)

Missile Launcher - Easily the most tactically flexible weapon, it can at least glance every vehicle on the battlefield. Rips through transports. And if you need some street sweeping switch over to frag and start using it to make light armored troops disappear. One of my favorites.

Plasma Cannon - Wow this got vicious in 5th edition. I remember being pissed after I modeled a devastator squad with two of them and then realized how much they sucked. Now that the blast templates hit everything they touch, it is just a monster. Emperor help a terminator squad that deepstrikes in line of site of one of these. IMO they are the best infantry killers in the game right now cause they are great for hoard but also murder space marine equivalents which is pretty hard to do.

Autocannons - Often overlooked, while not fan favorites they do have their uses. They really shine against very light armor and skimmers. Often are good when rolling hits are harder than rolling penetration (i.e. Imperial Guard). I wouldn't be racing to use them, but opening up with a couple of these on a skimmer and you are very likely to be bringing it down. Doubles as decent infantry killers in a pinch but I certainly wouldn't buy them for that.

Heavy Bolters - Ah my black sheep. Without a doubt the worst heavy weapon in the Imperium right now. You are much more likely to get three hits with a frag missile than with three shots. If your squads have them, pack them up or rip them off, cause there is absolutely no point to having them on.

The problem is that I really like the heavy bolter as a concept. Modern armies all use a squad automatic weapon (in fact in the army that's the exact name of the one we use). As an army team leader my M249 SAW was great, it put rounds downrange off the shoulder and set into a position it had a higher rate of fire than my heavy machine gun. You can bet I didn't ever let my SAW gunner get to far away from me.

So I propose a change to the Heavy Bolter. Make it the only move and shoot heavy weapon in the imperial force, but give it some punch if dug in. it would have two modes:
Shoulder Fire - 12" Str 4 Ap 5 Assault 2
Sustained Fire - 24" Str 4 Ap 5 Heavy 5

To counterbalance the obvious increase in usefulness I have reduced the range and gone back to a standard power bolt (I never believed that they were really stronger than regular bolt guns). I can be honest I would have a tough time passing this new bolt gun up. It would allow tac squads the flexibility to run and gun, and also allow for some serious kick in a gun line.

Well that's my two cents.

Rix

No comments:

Post a Comment