A personal blog about gaming, modeling, and other less than cool ways to spend your time.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Wolves on a Leash

I hate my camera...the pictures look like crap. To make maters worse I can't even get the SD card to read in my computer so I don't have any pictures to accompany this post....will work on it for next time.

My wolves are on a leash right now, at least till I get a new codex. I have a lot of changes to the force to make them viable in 5th edition, but just can't justify changing weapon and vehicle load outs till I am sure they will match the new codex. I do have some fleeting hope it will be out soon.

I went through a lot to finally get around to painting the army. I started it around 1996 and finished around 2001. But to be honest, I had a lot of drinking to do back then so its understandable. In my mind they were the quintessential 4th edition rush army. They picked a spot on the board and made everything there its bitch. They also had a smattering of other units to handle everything not in the "making-or-bitches" zone.

The army generally consisted of:

  • Terminators in a Land Raider Crusader - They were mostly CC but did have an assault cannon and cyclone missile launcher
  • Blood Claws in a Rhino - Three power fists and used the rhino rush, they were monsters on the charge
  • Rune Priest - Interpretations vary but no-one ever convinced me that using storm caller on the charge did not let me assault first. It was game changing.
  • Wolf Guard Battle Leader - Needed an extra HQ so he got termie armor and lightning claws and ran with the terminators. He has a lot of extra punch for them though.
  • Grey Hunters in a Razorback - These guys were uber useful, typically they were kitted out to be a shooting force. I would run them at something outside the area of destruction (typically the enemies counter charge force) and would unload with a melta gun, 2 plasma pistols and a multi-melta from the razorback. I would then proceed to charge in. This would inevitably take that unit out for the rest of the game
  • Wolf Scouts - Ah these boys were great, the enemy always forgot about them. They handled the guys that were on the opposite side of the board where I was rushing. They averaged one long range vehicle a game, well worth the 82 points
  • Predator/Leman Russ Exterminator - Mildly useful as a column head or as a supporting fire base.
It was a really fun army to play.

Rix

No comments:

Post a Comment