A personal blog about gaming, modeling, and other less than cool ways to spend your time.

Friday, April 3, 2009

On Squad Composition

So I guess this is a continuation of my rants and raves about Codex Astartes. This time I mainly want to focus on squads and how they are utilized. In a typical military scenario a squad is broken into two or three elements, in the united states these are Fire Teams. Fire teams do not separate and during combat are assigned to do one thing at a time (e.g. suppressing fire, maneuver, recon, etc.). Each of these units are typically armed the same so no matter which unit is engaged you always have the right weapon.

So how would this transfer into 40k. I like how the Space Marine Codex has combat squads. I would like to see that they have some incentive to staying closer to each other. Maybe make them only count as scoring units if they are within 12" of each other. Otherwise I would like to see more consistency in the weapon loadouts, either two special weapons or two heavy weapons. I defiantly realize two heavy weapons would be OP, I do advocate a new more mobile heavy weapon (I will discuss in another post).

Another capability that modern units have is some sort of indirect fire. In today's army we use a grenade launcher or even just a thrown grenade. This allows a unit to remain in cover and still engage the enemy. I would like to see a grenade launcher type weapon as one of the special weapon choices. In older versions of 40K it was alot harder to use indirect weapons, the new rules seem to be pretty good system. I think it would be cool if we brought them back.

Rix

No comments:

Post a Comment