A personal blog about gaming, modeling, and other less than cool ways to spend your time.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Land Speeder Storm Project Log

My Land Speeder Storm was added as a transport for my scouts. I like the vehicle because I find that it is very versatile:

-Cheap, fast moving multi-melta
-Fastest way to move a troop unit across the board
-Can outflank, with our without scouts
-Can deliver scouts fro an "Alpha Strike"

I particularly like the "Alpha Strike". If going first, you use you scout move to bring a scout squad within 12 inches of a scary vehicle. On first turn you disembark 2", Move 6", and then assault 6" to the vehicle. Since the vehicle hasn't moved, the attacks auto hit. Combined with a meltabomb or powerfist Sgt, and you have the capability of burning a land raider before the game really starts.

I decided to magnetize the models in the back, so when the troops disembark it shows on the model. While I was at it I decided to magnetize the weapon also. As with the other scouts they were all converted to have helmeted heads since I HATE the look of the bare headed scouts. All put together:



At this point let me say that this is one of my favorite models GW produces. It looks like a cross between a sports car and a pickup truck. Overall I just really like the lines, and they way the passengers look inside. Continuing on, without the passengers:


As you can see magnets were added in the passenger compartment. Magnets were added to the passengers as well:


All of the models were given a coat of Adeptus Battlegrey from the GW spray gun:


At this point I went to work on the passengers. Fortress Grey drybrush on all of the clothing (excluding the helmet), Iyanden Darksun basecoat on the shoulders. Chaos Black on the guns and boots:


Then the details on the models. 2-3 coats of Golden Yellow on the shoulder followed by a highlight of Sunburst Yellow. Shadow Grey for the Camo Splotches, then two dots of Chaos scattered around. Boltgun on the metal parts. A mix of 50/50 Red Gore/Codex Grey for the muted red visors. Viola:


I repeated the process on the two vehicle crew. I then went to work on the speeder. I with how to do the camo, pattern. In the end I looked at old woodland HMMWVs compared to the woodland camo patterns that troops wore. What I found was that vehicle patters tended to be larger, and less splotchy and more sweeps of color that wrapped around the vehicle. With that I went for broke and just started putting on color till I thought it was right. Shadow Grey and Fortress Grey was all that I used. I added a wash of Badab Black, a couple of muted red details, and the results are:







Like I said before, this is one of my favorite models in the GW line. I was very happy with the paint job as well. I find that if I put bother the scouts or the vehicle in some ruin terrain, it does the perfect job of blending right in.

Rix

1 comment: